So the Other day i got my hands on a brand new MRP G3 carbon chainguide -big ups to wide open for hooking me up-. you know the single ring guide for mountain bikes. After installing it onto the yeti, i noticed the chain was rubbing against the guide in the big cogs -it was already happening with me old chain device E13 LG1+. mainly because i hadn’t added the proper 2.5mm spacer between the frame and the outboard bb drive side (as it is recommended for 73mm Bottom brackets shells.) because i wanted a better chainline.
Anyway, the rubbing was annoying me a tad and after a little brain workout, i thought of pushing the chainguide closer to the frame and the only way to do it was! the Hammerdsmidt facing tool. i remembered a few years back that the hammerdscmidt groupset required a well faced bb+chainguide mount to be as accurately in-line as possible and that truvativ had produced a tool for this issue.
Evidently, it took so much brain power of my own to make a connection of what i needed to happen and the solution. face off metal off the chainguide mounts so the guide would be closer to the frame! boom! it all happened in matters of days. the boys from Sram/truvativ wholesalers would have the tool! they have to!
rode to their workshop, boom! got that Hammerdshmidt facing tool for the price of 16 ice-blocks. but boom i can’t use the tool without the handles and attachments…
Luckily, the guys told me to use the campagnolo BB facing tool to use the arms. This evidently happens -in my opinion and noone else so far- because the truvativ was made to fit the park tool bb facing tool BFS-1. However! i believe that Park tool has copied the campagnolo design for facing tool thus the reason for the coincidental fit.
Once again, with luck, the boys from Truvativ NZ are also the campagnolo distributor. And evidently, they had the mega bucks arsenal of campy tools, but i had to go through the big man in charge, skinny and tall really, THE David Benson himself! luckily he was in a good mood and let me borrow the priceless tooling of the cycling gods.
Knowing i only had 24 hours with the tools, i made sure i used it properly and safely. After rushing back the shop and a quick stop-over at home in the middle of the whole process -i had to pick up the campagnolo grease- i spent the 4 hours in total shaving off1mm from the ISCG05 tabs. I thought that i was supposed to take 2mms off but i got impatient and it turned out that 1mm was perfect.
All i can say is to always double check to make sure everything fits proper and don’t rely on what you think you should cut. measure, measure, measure and install and take apart and install again.